Legal Counsel, Compliance
- Full time, permanent role based in Sydney CBD
- Key business partnering role to drive a positive compliance culture
- Competitive salary and dedicated development opportunities
Export Finance Australia is the Australian Government’s export credit agency.
We provide financial expertise and solutions to drive sustainable growth that benefits Australia and our partners. Through our loans, guarantees and bond products, we enable SMEs, corporates and governments to take on export-related opportunities, and support infrastructure development in the Pacific region and beyond.
You will work closely with internal stakeholders in promoting a positive, healthy compliance culture and to ensure policies and processes are implemented, well adopted and maintained.
We have a rare opportunity for a Legal Counsel, Compliance to work under the leadership of the Head of Compliance in partnering with our business to provide overall compliance advice and outputs across all aspects of the business.
This is a key consulting role that will work closely with internal stakeholders in promoting a positive, healthy compliance culture and to ensure policies and processes are implemented, well adopted and maintained.
About the role
On a day to day basis, you will work with the Compliance team and the business (as required) on delivering on our Compliance Plan and our mandate, under the guidance of the Head of Compliance. You will work on a range of compliance matters, including:
- Managing and updating our internal policies and procedures, and preparing and rolling out new ones as required in accordance with our Compliance Plan, and to meet all legislative, regulatory, government and international obligation (e.g. OECD) requirements and changes
- Monitoring upcoming legal and regulatory requirements, and changes to existing laws, international obligations and government policy
- Regular reporting requirements, including internal and external reporting (e.g. Government, regulator etc.)
- Anti-money laundering and counter-terrorism financing (AML/CTF) and sanctions compliance, and day to day administration of our AML/CTF program
- Assisting with the preparation of board and board audit papers, including content and reporting items
- Acting as a liaison for internal and external auditors and independent advisors from time to time and coordinating information requests
- Preparing and delivering ad hoc compliance training to staff on various compliance and legal topics
- Delivering compliance training content and maintaining staff compliance training platforms and registers
- Liaising with relevant business areas to investigate incidents and implementing outcomes
- Liaising with relevant business areas to investigate and respond to complaints
- Advising on Privacy Act and Spam Act matters, and providing other legal advice to the marketing team
- Assisting with the production and submission of AUSTRAC reporting
- Representing Compliance at various internal project and committee meetings
- Engaging in projects (both Compliance projects and broader business projects) and continuous improvement work, and taking the lead of some of these initiatives
- Working with our Corporate Affairs, Legal and business teams to deliver shared outcomes, liaise with government and for reporting purposes
- Supporting our work for other federal government agencies from time to time
- Handling and responding to Freedom of Information Act requests
- Providing ad hoc legal advice to the business
- Instructing and working with external legal counsel as required
- Assisting the Legal team by providing guidance on technical compliance issues
- Ensuring appropriate information on compliance (and related regulatory) issues is made available staff
- Assisting with managing periodic risk and compliance obligations and attestations and processes
To be successful in the role, you bring the following:
- A practicing certificate as an Australian legal practitioner, ideally with 2 to 5 years PQE
- Legal experience gained in a commercial law firm or financial institution with a keen interest in banking and financial services
- Good stakeholder management and business partnering skills, able to collaborate across teams, liaise with stakeholders at all levels, and drive staff engagement with Compliance
- A commercial and solutions focused outlook, with an ability to balance this with protecting our integrity and reputation
- Motivation to foster and embrace a compliance and risk aware
- A continuous improvement mindset, constantly looking for opportunities to improve outcomes for both our customers and our organisation
- Strong prioritisation and organisation skills, an ability to work autonomously and the capability to deliver in a timely fashion, often within short timeframes
- Strong and clear communication skills, enthused to interact with internal stakeholders
- You will promote an open exchange of knowledge and ideas on compliance issues with Legal and other business areas
- An interest and commitment to learning new technology, and understanding technical platforms used by the business
- Resilience, with the ability to move forward and manage in fast-changing, agile environments
How to apply
If this sounds like the right challenge for you, apply now! We'd love to hear from you ASAP.
Applications close 4pm Friday, 28 February 2020. Interviews will occur in parallel, so please apply ASAP.
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered.
Why Choose Export Finance Australia?
We are small enough to have impact, BIG enough to make a world of difference.
Our size means our people have interesting and varied work that stretches and challenges them, with the opportunity to learn from senior leaders and specialists. At Export Finance Australia, there are opportunities to grow your career and broaden your experience, build your expertise, and receive development through targeted learning, mentoring and feedback.
Our people have an impact, and through our collective efforts, we know that helping our customers grow helps Australia grow. Our customers are dynamic and diverse and so are our people. We believe in flexibility and giving our people choices about how they get their work done and how they balance this with other areas of their lives.