- International and emerging markets focus
- Lead country risk and Macroeconomic analysis
- Outstanding career opportunity with growth and development potential
Export Finance Australia is the government’s export credit agency.
We provide financial expertise and solutions to drive sustainable growth that benefits Australia and our partners. Through our loans, guarantees, bonds and insurance options we enable SMEs, corporates and governments to take on export-related opportunities, and support infrastructure development in the Pacific region and beyond.
About the role
We have a rare, permanent full-time opportunity for a Senior Economist to undertake complex economic analysis in relation to Export Finance Australia’s risk assessment process, with a focus on the taking of credit exposures in emerging and frontier markets. This is an influential role reporting to the Chief Economist that involves a high degree of interaction with both internal and external clients.
Key roles and responsibilities
On a day to day basis, your key responsibilities will involve (but not be limited to) the following:
- Undertake country and commodity risk assessment in support of Export Finance Australia’s underwriting, risk management and marketing activities
- Undertake economic analysis in support of business planning and marketing
- Maintain effective relationships with government and private sector intelligence sources
- Represent Export Finance Australia at meetings of alliance partners and clients among both SMEs and large firms and deliver public presentations where required
- Perform Econometric modelling, including working with input-output tables
- Write editorials and articles for conferences and journals
- Present to the Credit Committee and Board
- Comply with and implement Export Finance Australia’s policies and procedures
- Identify, manage and comply with Export Finance Australia’s obligations arising under statute, regulations, the general law, and industry codes or guidelines relevant to the division/group
You will have around 8 years work experience as an economist with demonstrated sound commercial acumen and judgement within a government or commercial environment. You will also bring a combination of the following skills, qualities and experiences to our team:
- Firm grasp of the principles of economics, both micro and macro, particularly of open economy Macroeconomics and Money & Banking
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills including written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong autonomy and collaboration skills to work effectively in a team
- A positive, can-do attitude with drive and enthusiasm
- Experience in statistical analysis and economic forecasting / scenario stress testing
- Ability to tailor analysis to the differing needs of various internal and external clients
- A good understanding of international economic institutions
- Knowledge of the role of Export Credit Agencies (ECAs) in world capital markets and trade
- Experience/qualifications in development economics and political risk analysis
- MS Word, Excel proficiency and econometric modelling software
- Tertiary qualifications in Economics at Honours level or higher
If this sounds like you the right challenge for you, apply now! We'd love to hear from you ASAP. Applications close 4pm Friday 12 July 2019.
For this role, please provide a copy of your academic transcript and a brief cover letter with your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications from recruitment agencies will not be considered.
Why Choose Export Finance Australia?
We are small enough to have impact, BIG enough to make a world of difference.
Our size means our people have interesting and varied work that stretches and challenges them, with the opportunity to learn from senior leaders and specialists. At Export Finance Australia, there are opportunities to grow your career and broaden your experience, build your expertise, and receive development through targeted learning, mentoring and feedback.
Our people have an impact, and through our collective efforts, we know that helping our customers grow helps Australia grow. Our customers are dynamic and diverse and so are our people. We believe in flexibility and giving our people choices about how they get their work done and how they balance this with other areas of their lives.