Supporting Australian critical minerals projects
We provide financial expertise and solutions to support Australian businesses across a variety of industries, including critical minerals.
The Australian Government has directed us to place a greater focus on critical minerals projects and related infrastructure to diversify critical mineral supply chains and further up the value chain to downstream processing.
When considering support for a critical minerals project, we consider the following:
- The mineral is identified in Australia’s critical minerals strategy
- The extraction and/or processing of the minerals in Australia are for export
- A comprehensive feasibility study has been completed
- The buyer is committed to purchase project’s production
- The project proponents have the necessary financial, technical and commercial capacity
Critical Minerals Facility
In 2021, the Australian Government established the $2 billion Critical Minerals Facility, which is managed by Export Finance Australia. Projects that are aligned with the Australian Government’s Critical Minerals Strategy and are otherwise in Australia’s national interest, may be able to access finance through this facility.
How we work with other financiers
We work alongside other Commonwealth financing bodies where mandates overlap. For critical minerals this can include working with the Clean Energy Finance Corporation and the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility.