Supporting critical minerals projects
We provide financial expertise and solutions to support Australian businesses across a variety of industries, including critical minerals.
The Australian Government has directed us to place a greater focus on critical minerals projects and related infrastructure to diversify critical mineral supply chains and further up the value chain to downstream processing.
For us to support a critical minerals project, it must meet the following criteria:
- The mineral is identified in Australia’s critical minerals strategy
- The extraction and/or processing of the minerals in Australia are for export
- A comprehensive feasibility study has been completed
- The buyer is committed to purchase project’s production
- The project proponents have the necessary financial, technical and commercial capacity
How to access the Defence Export Facility
Where critical minerals have applications to strategically important end-uses, such as use for defence applications, and are otherwise in Australia’s national interest, funding may be available through the Government’s Defence Export Facility, which is administered by Export Finance Australia.
How we work with other financiers
We work alongside other Commonwealth financing bodies where mandates overlap. For critical minerals this can include working with the Clean Energy Finance Corporation and the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility.